Treating Osteoporosis with Hormone Therapies in Brownwood

  • Posted on: Feb 20 2013
  • By:

By and large, osteoporosis is a condition associated with older women. However, you may be surprised to find out that younger individuals also suffer from this musculoskeletal condition, including men. Dr. Gary Butka and his team at the Creative Image Laser Solutions offers Brownwood hormone therapies to residents of Brownwood and nearby areas who are diagnosed with osteoporosis.

Osteoporosis, The Silent Killer
When osteoporosis occurs, your bone becomes porous as a result of structural deterioration and low bone mass. As a result, your bones become fragile, making you susceptible to injuries and bone fractures. The most common bones affected include the spine, wrist and hip. While osteoporosis is almost always associated with the elderly, it could actually strike amongst youngsters, too.

Recent surveys have shown that osteoporosis affects 80 percent of women while the remaining 20 percent is covered by men. Significant risks  has been associated with people from all ethnic backgrounds. All in all, osteoporosis is involved in approximately 1.5 million fractures annually.

Osteoporosis is dubbed as a silent killer as bone loss itself is not noticeable unless you have an injury. A collapsed vertebrae may only be noticed with sudden loss of height, moderate to severe back pain and changes in posture.

Detecting Osteoporosis
The most common diagnostic procedure used in detecting osteoporosis is via a series of BMD (Bone Mineral Density) tests. A BMD could include a DEXA  (Dual X-Ray Absorptiometry) Scan, quantitative computed tomography and an ultrasound.

Hormone Replacement Therapy for Osteoporosis
Currently, there is no known cure for osteoporosis. Apart from medications, hormone replacement therapies(HRT)  has been used to treat osteoporosis.It is important to note, however, that not all women are candidates for hormone replacement in treating bone loss.

HRT is highly recommended for younger women who are below 60 years old in which the benefits of HRT outweighs the risks associated with it. Women who have undergone early menopause are also ideal  candidates for HRT in treating osteoporosis.

For more information on Brownwood hormone replacement therapies in treating osteoporosis, schedule a personal consultation with Dr. Butka by calling 325.641.1927 or by filling out this contact form.

Posted in: Hormone Replacement

Book An Appointment

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Creative Image Laser Solutions

Locate Our Office

3661 US-377 Brownwood TX, 76801

Toll Free: (877) 352-7372 Call us for a FREE consultationPhone: (325) 641-1927

5.0 stars from 8 reviews

star star star star star


Location Map: