- Posted on: Jun 15 2016
Botox wins the popularity contest in the aesthetic world. Since its debut when approved by the FDA for the treatment of wrinkles in 2002, Botox has taken the world by storm. Every year since it hit the aesthetic market, it has led the world in procedures, surgical or non-surgical. If it could handle a phone, Botox would be posting selfies all over the web, as it’s way more popular than the likes of Kim Kardashian, who uses it religiously.
It’s just as popular with our clients at Creative Image Laser Solutions. Here are some other things you may not know about Botox.
It’s all over the place, naturally
Clostridium botulinum is the organism from which Botox is derived. It can be found in its inactive form all through the natural environment, including in cultivated soil and in forest soil, and in the sediment of lakes, streams, coastal and untreated waters.
Although, most people didn’t know it, Botox has been used medicinally for decades. After it was found that the botulinum toxin type A, when injected in very small amounts, could make muscles temporarily stop contracting it was tried in various capacities. It is now used for the following therapeutic applications:
- Severe primary axillary hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating)
- Blepharospasm (involuntary eyelid spasms)
- Idiopathic rotational cervical dystonia (severe neck and shoulder muscle spasms)
- Chronic migraine headaches
- Hemifacial spasm
- Post-stroke upper limb spasticity
- Urinary incontinence
- Overactive bladder
It is also used “off-label” for:
- Achalasia (esophageal problems creating difficulty swallowing)
- Allergic rhinitis
- Sialorrhea (hypersalivation)
- Cerebral palsy
- Hepatopancreatic dysfunction
- Oromandibular dystonia (forceful contraction of the jaw, face, and/or tongue)
- Laryngeal dystonia (forceful contraction of the vocal cords)
More about Botox
More than six million Botox treatments are given each year, far and away the most of any cosmetic procedure of any type.
Although Botox is by far the most popular brand, the botulinum toxin is also sold commercially under these other brand names: Vistabel, Dysport, Bocouture, Xeomin, and Myobloc. At Creative Image Laser, we offer Botox and Dysport.
Is it time for you to do something about your crow’s feet or forehead wrinkles? Call us at 325-641-1927 and schedule a Botox or Dysport session.