By and large, acne affects almost anyone. This skin problem is a common occurrence amongst teens and young adults. Recent global statistics have shown that approximately 85 percent of men and women worldwide experience acne at one point in their lives, mostly in the face, chest and back. If you have been suffering from acne for a long time and are currently living in Brownwood, Texas or nearby areas, you might want to visit Dr. Gary Butka and the rest of his team at the Creative Laser Solutions to discuss your Brownwood acne treatment options.
Read below for some interesting facts on acne!
1. The primary cause of acne is unknown. However, a combination of 3 factors have been identified as possible causes:
- overproduction of oil by the skin’s oil glands
- consistent blockage of the hair follicles by the excess oil which carries the dead skin cells
- the development of bacteria in the clogged hair follicles.
2. Pimples come in different types: whiteheads, blackheads, papules, nodules, pustules and cysts.
3. Frequent washing of the affected area will not help improve the appearance of acne. Most people perceived that acne will be treated through washing alone. However, effective treatment is actually a combination of antibacterial medications to reduce the presence of bacteria and hydrating agents to avoid the skin from drying out.
4. Apart from the trio of factors mentioned earlier, you are most likely to have acne if:
- it runs in the family (heredity)
- you are pregnant or taking birth control pills (hormonal)
- taking medications which are most likely to disrupt your normal hormone levels
- you frequently apply greasy makeup or oily skin care products
5. Your acne could get worse if you constantly scrub your skin and use skin-drying products. The more your skin dries, the more your oil glands work to produce oil which could clog pores.
6. It is always best to do a patch test before trying on new makeup products. Everyone’s skin reacts differently thus the need to figure out if a certain product will cause an allergic reaction.
7. The best way to treat acne is to actually prevent the buildup of bacteria from occurring.
8. Consistency is actually the key to treating acne. Most patients actually discontinue treatments if they don’t see immediate results. The recommended length of any acne treatment is at least 8 weeks.
If you’d like to know more about Dr. Butka’s Brownwood acne treatments, schedule a personal consultation with him by calling us at 325.641.1927 or by filling out this contact form.